The slow cooker strikes again…
Actually, it hit it right out of the park again.
I love my slow cooker!!!
Chicken Divan – I grew up with it, and loved it. But for those of you who haven’t had it – think a tasty chicken and broccoli casserole, cooked slowly, topped with optional toasted breadcrumb topping. It’s delicious, fast prep, and easy.
I’ve amended the original recipe (from Slow Cooker Revolution by America’s Test Kitchen, pg 220) to fit our health- (and RA-) conscious lifestyle.
* 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted + divided
* 2 small/medium onions, minced
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried in a pinch)
* 3 Tbsp almond flour
* 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus 1/2 cup (if needed later)
* 1/2 cup half-and-half
* 1 tsp dry mustard
* 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed (do not be afraid of dark meat – it truly brings the flavor to life and it is soooo tender and juicy)
* Salt and pepper
* 2 cups instant brown rice
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 12 oz broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 recipe Toasted Breadcrumbs – optional – remove if gluten is a problem (recipe follows)
Heat 3 Tbsp coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in almond flour and cook for 1 minute more. Slowly whisk in the broth, smoothing out any lumps. Transfer to the slow cooker
Stir half-and-half and mustard into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the slow cooker Coat evenly with the sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 4 to 6 hours on low.
Break up chicken into bite-sized pieces (I used a wooden spoon). Stir in rice and cheddar. Cover and cook on high until the rice is tender about 20 to 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the mixture… If you need more liquid for the rice add another 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
Toss the broccoli with the remaining 1 Tbsp of coconut oil. Microwave, stirring occasionally, until tender and vibrant green, about 3 minutes. Stir softened broccoli into slow cooker and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Toasted Breadcrumb Topping (optional) and serve.
Toasted Breadcrumb Topping:
* 2 slices high-quality bread slices
* 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Process bread slices in a food processor until they become coarse crumbs, about 1 minute. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and toast, stirring often, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer crumbs to a bowl and season with a bit of pepper.